Ever wish you could drop the name of your Tableau workbook and/or data source into a Slack channel and have it automatically refresh? What if you’re developing and need to get a quick refresh completed? What if you don’t have tabcmd installed on your machine? What if you want to add step at the end of your pipeline that drops the name of the content into the Slack channel?
I’ve talked about this before but what had to happen was the extract needed to exist in the ‘background_jobs’ table. Well, that won’t always happen as people will be doing this for the first time. So, we needed to expand it a bit to include *all* possibilities (workbook and data sources). Also, in this much improved version, we Slack back to the user and let them know their extract is completed.
That’s the beauty of the ‘Tableau-Slack-Logentries‘ integration. When you have a decent amount of parts, the whole becomes a fascinating thing.
Here are the steps:
- get the data from the Logentries webhook
- Process the data for each extract
- getting current slack users: don’t need to do this often (unless you want to)
- getting valid list of workbooks and data sources
- Processing list of extracts : rolling 24 hours
- getting valid list of workbook / data source owners
- create Slack content object: basically it must add up to a certain number to run (for example, if the person who dropped the name in the channel isn’t the owner, it won’t succeed).
- Log it!
If anyone is interested in the code and / or a demo, please let me know and I’ll be happy to show it.